Saturday, June 05, 2004

Michael's Story

I just emailed my friends in the U.S., Canada and overseas about the Big Event. As Darcy mentioned it hasn't sunk in and likely won't for a while. But it's a special feeling. I remember Darcy introducing me to someone at her old workplace and the person replied "Oh this is part of you". A rather strange comment! I think it was the same individual who later said something to the effect that "the two of you look like a plastic couple perched on top of a wedding cake. Darcy gagged at that sickly sweet comment too. Finally someone else commented that we looked like male and female versions of each other. I also had to think about that comment for a minute.

Anyway, to make it official I proposed at around 11 am on Sunday, May 30 2004. I had been mulling the idea for a while but decided to make the decision when Darcy wanted to spend the Memorial Day long weekend in the remote resort of Flamingo, Florida. It's located at the tail end of mainland Florida in the Everglades National Park. Only one road in and out. We had first visited it in March 2001 and loved it. Not many people were there which suited us fine. It is popular with fishermen but many tourists would maybe spend a night and then head back north. Darcy wanted to stay in a cottage at Flamingo Lodge that was near Eco Pond. It was very spacious and had no television. We didn't miss not having a tv.

I still wasn't sure exactly when or where to propose but decided on the morning of May 30. We woke up early due to the power being out for the past twelve hours due to a turkey vulture (buzzard) running into a transformer and starting a fire. It knocked out power to the park. Luckily we had had the a/c maxed out all day so our cottage did not heat up quickly as the hours ticked by. Luckily we had the motel's poolside barbecue to cook our salmon. We used our candles for dinner and one person asked us if we were newlyweds!

Anyway we had breakfast the next morning and then headed outside to practice yoga. We take yoga classes every Monday night and had practiced the previous morning. We chose to practice by the campground picnic area under a shady tree. After a good half hour session I suggested we walk over to a bench overlooking Florida Bay and the keys and that's where I asked. I did not have a ring but Darcy suggested we could both get one at Birks (arguably Canada's finest jewelry store--Ask Darcy because she worked there). I had given Darcy a small diamond ring when I was in Thailand in 2002 but it was a committment ring.

We had dinner that night at the Buttonwood Cafe that is beside the motel. It was a beautiful evening and we had a view of the Florida Bay. Another omen was when our waiter asked if we were on our honeymoon! I was tempted to tell him our news but Darcy didn't want to. Sadly we had to check out the next day and head back to the rat race of Broward County. But we took our time by canoeing for two hours and walking around some of the trails. The scenery was beautiful and peaceful but god was it hot and humid. We saw lots of alligators and a few baby ones.

I guess thinking of all the things that go into planning a wedding makes my head spin. One step at a time so maybe that begins with investigating what Darcy and I need to do about her getting a green card at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. We agreed to both set aside money (not sure how much yet) each month for the wedding and maybe honeymoon too. We also agree to spend more money on our honeymoon than the wedding. Darcy said that the average cost of a wedding is $19,000 - that's insane! Even half that amount is nuts. What happened to just having coffee, tea and cookies like what my parents did? And that was the norm! Darcy and I do not want to fall into the trap of couples bickering over mundane things like the color of napkins matching dresses. Okay - I'll get off my soapbox now.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. What????

    But the napkins MUST match the dresses match the tablecloths match the party favours match the decorations match the corsages match the cummerbunds and vests and ties.

    (just kidding ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:19 PM

    It's Val here. I don't have blog account and don't care to create one, so I get to be Anonymous.

    About wedding costs, we pulled our wedding off for under $2000. Yes, we only fed about ten people, but aside from the reception size and cost, you can do it beautifully for cheap. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Val. We're definitely going to be going with a smaller, less expensive celebration...it boggles my mind that people would spend what could be the down payment on a new house for one half day of what usually turns out to be huge stress for all involved! If we were going to spend that amount of money on *anything*, it would be a six-month honeymoon in an overseas location :)

    ReplyDelete