Saturday, June 19, 2004

the early days part 2

Darcy's *early days* narrative was very accurate. But I'll add a few comments. I probably seemed a bit overbearing at our icebreaker session at SLIS back in early Sept. 1998. It wasn't my intention but once Darcy mentioned that she had a boyfriend I had no thoughts of *pursuing* her. However, Darcy often caught my eye due in part to her curvy body and clothes she wore. She had a stylish floor length overcoat. She'd sometimes wear black tights and a shirt along with her green United Farmers of Alberta blazer. Other times she's wear a blouse with jeans an a silk(?) scarf tied to one of the belt buckles. I was intrigued by her unique wardrobe.

Another interesting thing about Darcy was her subtle style of flirting. During class breaks many students would flock to HUB for coffee. I would often saunter out last and would pass Darcy but I was too shy to talk long with her. We'd make small talk and then she'd almost always wink at me. Few people, including me, wink nowadays but I thought it was a nice touch.

I recall that about a month before our first date I was biking home late at night and saw Darcy walking. It was around 112 street and south of Jasper Ave near the LRT station and Ezio Farone (sp) park. Anyway we chatted for a few minutes and I was impressed by the amount of walking she did. She lived on 124 street north of 111 ave. The next day she emailed me and the email's subject line was *snowy musings*. Another little flirt that piqued my curiosity.

I spent many long hours in the SLIS computer lab and recall Darcy and her long overcoat flowing as she would stroll out the lab door with her boyfriend. I'd sometimes wish I was the one going out with her instead before I'd return to my homework. Darcy neglected to mention that she brought some of her exotic oils on our first date. I think she used to carry a little bottle or two where ever she went but at the Library Bar she took a bottle out and began massaging my hand with the oil. That was a nice touch. I think I ordered a cubalibra or rye and coke and Darcy ordered a Guiness. I have to mention this incident although Darcy may be embarrassed about it. One late night we were cuddling outside the back door of the SLIS building. U of A campus security was doing its rounds and saw us bundled together. They instinctively thought there was an incident and the officer strolled over and asked us separately if we *both wanted to be here*. We both said yes but he didn't seemed to be convinced but soon left us alone. A similar incident happened again.

She says that the first time she showed me her apartment I blurted out something to the effect of *Gee you have a messy kitchen*. I admit to keeping a fairly neat kitchen and keeping the sink free of clutter but I shouldn't have made that comment. I'm surprised she didn't get mad at me and I don't remember how she reacted to my unpolite comment.

I was also intrigued by Darcy's belief in Wicca. I honestly didn't know too much about it and attracted me more to Darcy. Simple things like her buring incense made our moments special. Something sparked my interest to draw her using my pencils and sketchbook. I remember sketching a photo of her at my apartment that quickly turned into a series of sketches. One of my favorites is one I sketched from my mind (using no photo) on Sept. 4, 2000. Darcy correctly mentioned in the previous posting that the next few months of our relationship were strange. I only saw her apartment a few times before I left on my nine week overseas trip on April 20.

We were reunited briefly in Edmonton in late June early July 2000 before I drove to Spokane and took the train to Chicago for the ALA conference. Then we met up a week later there and spent much of the time scouring for jobs. We didn't have a clue what would happen to us but I had a feeling that although we may be apart for a while somehow we would find employment somewhere and begin a new life together. As sappy as it sounds it happened by the end of that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment