Monday, July 17, 2006

getting settled

So, we are moving in and starting to make our new place a home. There's still plenty of things that we need--basic stuff like curtains, coffee tables, bookshelves and blankets for the bed-- but we have enough to live, if roughly, until we are done. Strange to be starting totally over--I've moved with next to nothing before, but I've always had a few things to unpack and set out to make my place familiar. This time there's nothing but a clothes and a couple of books.

Running around and shopping would be easier except I've come down with (another!) cold. This one I got from Michael, who picked it up from a coworker at the PI. I guess between the stress of moving to a new climate and the likelihood of new bugs here that my system is not used to, it's not surprising. But after almost a decade without a cold it seems strange that I've had three of them since March! Also, I need to learn to adjust my schedule to the location. I am used to slow mornings and picking up the activity early in the afternoon. Many shops and offices here are closed between 1:30 and 4:30, which is right when I would normally be going to them, and of course the heat is at its worst right when I'm ready to go out. I need to get up earlier, rest or work inside during the early afternoon, and then go out later in the afternoon or in the evening.

The director of the other play I mentioned earlier contacted me today, and sent me a script via email with an invitation to audition. This part looks much more achievable for me than pretending to be 70 with a heavy regional accent. He is going on vacation soon, so there may not be any more news for a couple of weeks.

Also, the PI asked for my photos and scheduled a medical for me, so we are one step closer to getting our residence visas. Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment