Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat

My week long business/leisure trip to London was great!  I visited the Tate, National and National Portrait Galleries, British Library, British Museum, and London Museum.  Plus I did a lot of walking.  The weather was a bit cooler than I expected but at least it wasn't uncomfortable walking around the city like it still is in Abu Dhabi.  I hadn't been to London in over nine years and I met up with an old friend too. 

Darcy finished her last day of work on Oct. 29 and is looking forward to a break.  She booked our hotels in Paris, Brussels and Bruges for our two week trip in late November and early December.  The weather here is still fairly hot as we head into November but it should be a bit cooler by now.  The Formula One race here has dominated the local news this weekend.  I'm not really much of a F1 fan but it is interesting to see all hype behind this event.

Although Halloween is not a big day here we still bought a carved a pumpkin.  It was expensive since it had to be shipped from either North America or Europe.  But it was huge and looked neat lit up.  Check out Darcy's Facebook profile for a photo. 

Whale shark springs big surprise at beach club  we stayed one night our first summer here.

How should a mosque look?  The mosque has a 21st century design.  It's not very large but it took years to build.

At last, another way off the island and another article about the new bridge. 


New route halves time commuting to Abu Dhabi I drove it last Thursday and the new highway is fairly quick to reach from our place.

Single card for residents next year - I hope there's more success with the implementation compared to the first national ID card attempt.

UAE is top Arab state to live in  The full report is at http://www.prosperity.com/rankings.aspx and Canada is ranked #7.

Clinton to meet Abbas in Abu Dhabi They'll likely meet at the Emirates Palace which we'll drive close to on our way to the mall today.  I wonder if we'll see any black limos.

Debate over Arabic instruction heats up Ironically many Arabs in schools say they don't get very good instruction with learning English!

Waypoint on the old silk road

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Julie and I am a current MLIS student, I received your blog info from a professor here in the program. I would love to ask you a few questions about your work in Abu Dhabi as I think I am interested in working over there. Cheers, jkollson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete