Saturday, January 17, 2009

Enjoying the winter weather

The winter break continues at my work but I've made some progress with getting projects done.  The weather has been beautiful (for me at least).  Day time highs are in the low to mid 20s celcius or about 75 farenheit.  Nights are a bit chilly and I had to wear a windbreaker once.  But it's so nice to be able to open the windows and not! 

I just finished reading a book and have moved onto another one.  I've read more books in the last few months than I have in many years.  I also enjoy reading New York Times articles on my iPod and listening to podcasts on Stitcher Radio.  The jackhammering continues on the empty lot one building down from us.  We're not looking forward to when construction finally gets underway there.  But maybe the global recession will suspend it. 

There’s no business for snow businesses - this is sad but not surprising.  Also indicative of the typical confusion of how things work here.  We frequent the Caribou Coffee shop that is beside the abandoned Snow Dome.  I wonder how long Caribou Coffee will stay in business.  We like it much better than Starbucks since it's quiter and has more comfortable seating plus free wi-fi!

Men Sing of Their Faded Way of Life

Abu Dhabi taxi drivers wonder what to do next - the end of an era for Abu Dhabi

100 new buses arrive in capital - this is long overdue!
 
Architect saves artistic flair for his building designs

Business tourism helps capital to avoid trade downturn

Home sellers offering major discounts - global recession continues to affect the UAE - intitial stories of it being a healthy correction are long gone!

Spectre of foreclosure hits home

Capital plans seven new parks

Visitors say UAE women are ahead of those in US - I respectfully disagree...

Bridge at sunset image wins photo competition - i cross this bridge every day to get to work. it opened in 1968.  There is one other bridge that connects to Abu Dhabi Island.  Just to the right of that photo is the new Zayed Bridge that's been under construction for at least 5 years.

UAE and US sign nuclear deal - hmmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment