Saturday, August 30, 2008

approaching Ramadan...

Getting back into my daily morning stretching routine and having a few TCM and chiro treatments have helped my back and left leg in the last two weeks. I have to drive to Sharjah on Sunday - ugh! It's about a two hour drive but the traffic is horrendous. I hope that I make the right turn off to take the shortcut. Otherwise I will be very late.


We were invited to a brunch at a hotel here. Most Western hotels have Friday brunches with all you can eat buffets and some, including ours, offer bottomless champaigne. But they charge for water! So Ramadan is expected to start on Sept. 1. Business hours are reduced as Muslims fast during the day and also pray and read the Koran. So Darcy and I will work 9 to 3 which will be nice.

We didn't get our $600 USD economic stimulus package cheque from the IRS. I didn't expect to get one but I guess it was because I still file tax returns. Let's hope that the IRS receives my request to send another cheque. They said that it would take 6 weeks.

Below is the weekly roundup of interesting news stories......


Imams meet authorities to set holy month objectives

Job training for Emiratis ‘fails in key subjects’

Iran blames ‘big powers’ for island dispute

Forgotten cemeteries lie in disrepair

Cemetery is a mystery

Mark of faith sparks debate

Tall, blonde and ‘evil’: Barbie bedevils Iran
 
Paid parking waiting for green light - uh oh - we're going to have to start paying to park our car on the street

How to register for UAE national ID cards - guess we'll have to get our new cards soon

President defends relevancy of foreign universities - interesting stories about the tremendous growth of higher ed and the challenges that it faces

Universities warned against chasing student ‘gold rush’

At branch campuses, whose roots?

Brand UAE: only the best will do

UAE wants end to red tape in all govt depts - good luck!

With no will there is no easy way - hmmm....see the above article about simplifying bureaucratic procedures...

No comments:

Post a Comment