Saturday, July 01, 2006

My new job

Sorry for the delay in posting but my excuse has been that I've been too busy. My typical work week runs from Saturday through Wednesday (that's based on the Islamic calendar). So it's been an adjustment with having having Thursdays and Fridays for weekends. My work day runs 7:30 to 3:30 so I wake up at 5:30 and catch the college's shuttle at 6:45. I arrive at work at 7:20 am and the days fly by. the work shuttle leaves at 3:30 and 5:00 so I tend to take the latter one. I just can't get into the habit of spending only eight hours at work. I need some time to unwind at my desk before I leave for home everyday.

I've been busy with unpacking the books and journals and re-shelving them. Much time seems to be spent figuring out policies and learning the ropes that goes with starting any new job. This is my third job helping to open three brand new libraries in six years so I'm used to being in a bit of a chaotic situation. The library currently has four professional positions and four support staff. There are openings for more in both categories including my counterpart that is to start at the end of July. I will share the office with my new colleague plus we'll help staff the brand new women's college library when it opens in a few months. My primary duties for the fall semester will be developing an information literacy program and teaching library instruction classes to first year students. Collection development will be important too and also helping develop various policies. It's exciting to be opening another new library although this one will be unique. It will be challenging teaching students whose first language is not Arabic and who have not read much. Islam has been a predominantly oral society so history and culture has been passed down verbally so reading and doing research in the Western style is a fairly new concept here.

It's been interesting talking with expats here and the social circles that have developed. Society here is stratefied and the many different cultures work together but remain separate socially. The Arabs, Westerners and Asians from the subcontinent have formed their own social networks. I can see why based upon language, religion and customs but there also is some loss of community. Darcy and I moved here in large part to learn more about the Middle Eastern culture and interact more and not less with them. But I expect that there will be opportunities for us once we settle into our apartment.

Darcy and I are still at the hotel as there have been some delays with getting my paperwork done. But I got my first paycheque today so we can buy a washer and dryer and a fridge! We should also take possession of our apartment (they're called flats here) tomorrow and my furniture allowance will follow in a day or so. The climate is very hot but it's not as humid (yet) as I had expected. There have been a few mornings with heavy fog though! We've gone to the hotel's beach later in the afternoon and it's tolerable sitting in the shade. It's breezy here because Abu Dhabi City is on an island. But the Arabian Gulf water is very warm (29 ceclius or about 85 farenheit). I thought that the ocean water in South Florida was warm! Speaking of which I'm currently listening to WLRN's Saturday Edition. I do miss NPR and can at least catch some of the news online when I'm at work. I better go catch the work shuttle. Later....

2 comments:

  1. Interesting story, Michael, I enjoyed reading all the details of how the job and life in general is unfolding. BTW, the book, Using the Engineering Literature, is scheduled to be published on July 12th, and includes the chapter I wrote on petroleum engineering and processing literature. It's been quite a few months since each chapter author reviewed her or his contributions, so I'm hoping that at least 95% of what I wrote remains current.

    Long URL:
    http://www.routledge-ny.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=&isbn=0824729641&parent_id=98&pc=

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the book title Randy. I had just checked OCLC a few days for it and found nothing. I will definitely order a copy when it becomes available

    ReplyDelete