Tuesday, June 13, 2006

things start to move

Well, Michael's security clearance is finally done, so he's at work now. He called the PI's Human Resources department on Monday for an update and was told it was finished. Kind of makes you wonder how long they would have waited to tell anyone it was done if he hadn't called! I guess HR is the same the world over...

So he's been busy mainly helping the library get ready for the move to the new building, which is coming in a matter of days. Mapping out shelves and book locations, helping with the physical moving, and so forth. The work day starts a little earlier here--7 to 7:30 am--and without a car he is depending on the shuttle bus, so he has to get a very early start to his day. But, it means that he is out early too, and while in the short term he's getting home too tired to do much but relax at the beach after he adjusts to it I'm sure he'll appreciate the extra afternoon time. It also means that once we start shopping for furniture etc., we can do some of it together.

The other big news is that we have found an apartment! The one that we looked at earlier that was the best within our price range was still available, so we sent the information on to the people at the college and got the ball rolling for them to inspect and sign the lease. I am still not crazy about the pink and blue bathroom tiles...but...the place seems to be very well located. There is a supermarket, bakery, and fruit/vegetable market right across the street. We are close to the Cultural Foundation, some Heritage sites and gardens, and three souks, according to the map. Plus we are only a little more than a block away from Corniche road--a major thoroughfare on the water. So I think for that I can live with the tiles!

So, once the formalities are done we can move in. Likely another couple of weeks. And, once the PI hands over our furnishing allowance, I can start shopping for furniture and appliances. I hadn't realized that apartments here don't come with appliances, so I will have to go look for a washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, etc. Fortunately everywhere here has free delivery, so I won't have to worry about getting things home. We are hoping to be set up enough by Michael's birthday to have a joint birthday-housewarming party.

I have been concentrating lately on learning the Arabic alphabet, because not being able to read any of the Arabic signs has been driving me crazy. I want to learn Arabic anyway, and learning the script can only help that I would think. so I can slowly spell out arabic words now, even if I can't understand them. One of Michael's co-workers drove him home yesterday, and offered to help us learn (Arabic is his first language), so that should be good!

For now I'm just enjoying the downtime while I have it, going to Starbucks, going to the beach...hard life, eh? :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:05 AM

    Glad to hear all is going fairly well for you. I'm looking forward to reading futher posts as you get settled.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long process but it will get done eventually...

    ReplyDelete